Thursday 2 April 2009

At Namche

We have now made it up the valley as far as Namche Bazaar. Everyone is in good health and feeling fit, although the altitude of 3,850m does cause a little bit of breathlessness when doing any sort of exertion, such as standing up!

In keeping with the rest of the trip so far, the journey to Lukla was smoooth and trouble free; we passed serenely through all the chaos at the airport and the flight itself was fantastic. The views of the mountains were the clearest I have ever experienced and even the landing was trauma-free! From there it was a quick cup of tea and then we were on the trail.

The first days trekking up the base camp trail is very pleasant, involving mostly downhill walking and we ended the day at a place called Phakding, 200m below Lukla, in what can only be described as luxury lodges - en-suite flushing toilets and how showers on demand. Believe me it will get tougher, honestly! The next day (i.e. yesterday) was a bit more of a test, involving an ascent of around 800m up to Namche, the real sting being that 600m of that ascent comes in the last kilometre and a bit, and it was very hot, so we arrived at Namche feeling a little bit hot and sticky - luckily the lodge here also has hot showers on demand, although not en-suite!! (I have drafted my letter of complaint to Jagged Globe already).

Today was billed as a 'rest day' but this morning we took a hike up to the Everest View Hotel for tea on the terrace and fantastic views of, you guessed it, Everest. We are staying in Namche again tonight and then tomorrow we will be off again.

As for me, I'm feeling great; legs and lungs (and digestive system!) are all working properly - long may it stay that way.

Before I go, I'd just like to say happy birthday for yesterday to my sister Angie. I would have sent a card, but I will probably get home before it does!!

Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you have arrived safely. All sounds very civilised although shocker about the en-suite!! N x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy trekking, long may your digestive system remain regular! Glad you clarified about the hotel though, there was I thinking it was named after their double glazing...

    ReplyDelete