Wednesday 8 April 2009

Ready to Move On

We have now almost completed our acclimatisation stay at Dingboche and tomorrow we will continue up the trail to base camp.

On Monday we hiked up a hill behind Dingboche. The ascent was around 700m which took us over 5,000m for the first time. In the afternoon a few of us walked over to Pheriche to visit the Himalayan Rescue Association hospital and attend a lecture on Acute Mountain Sickness. I also took a pulse oxymeter test which showed my pulse to be 67 and my oxygen saturation as 92%. Basically this is good and means that I am acclimatising well.

Yesterday I took a rest day and apart from going to the shop to buy Coke and Mars Bars I spent the day doing admin things, washing some clothes, having a shave and loosing at cards.

This morning some of us took a hike up to Chukkung for a cup of tea, putting another 300m on the acclimatisation clock. Tonight we have a special event - a pub quiz with the prize of a toblarone.

Generally my health continues to be good, although I am sufffering from a bit of a cold at the moment. I also had a few 'gastric problems', but they have now dried up - sorry, cleared up!

So tomorrow we will head of to Lobuche. I'm not sure about internet access for the next two stops, so my next post may well be from base camp, where we should arrive on Saturday.

I hope everyone at home is well. The only news I have had from home is that Everton beat Wigan 4 - 0 on Saturday. COYB!!

Bye for now

4 comments:

  1. Peeeeeeeeeeeete!

    news from home; Coleen and Wayne are pregnant, Girls Aloud's new video is all pvc and dominatrix, RBS have just realised the economy is in trouble and announced 9000 job cuts (4500 in the UK), having said that Gordon Brown still hasn't a scoobie about the economy being in trouble and has awarded the largest construction contract in years (which btw, would keep thousands of Brits in jobs for years) to the Americans, Kent beat Warwickshire in the great nation cook off to go into the quarter final.

    Now gossip from your end please - who are the climbing pose, are they good fun, how many have loo seats with em...... come on, come on we need details.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete

    Hels, (the starfish) asked me to get in touch. I have sailed with her several times over the past couple of yrs. I share your passion for the outdoors and have been an avid rock climber and hill walker for many many years. How lucky you are to have the chance, and by the sounds of your comments, the trip is going well. I have never had the chance to get to Himalayas, but have walked and climbed in the Alps and Pyrenees. I am very jealous of the opportunity you have. As for banal news from home....even though I am from Ireland, I am a crazy Wolves fan, we are still top of the champioship, even after losing a derby match with the Brummies on Monday night. If things go well it will be Goodison pk next year to give the toffees a look!
    Man U had a 2-2 with Porto in UCL last night with Liverpool Chelsea on tonight (WED) will let u know result!
    Keep going and good luck on yr way to base camp.
    ATB

    Brick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all's well up there, have been following your progress up the valley on Google Earth though I don't think Streetview have ventured that far yet!

    Some sad news in Ben's family (tell you in email) but other than that just getting ready to have my back sliced open again in 10 days time and dealing with Zoe's 20 a day tantrum habit. Don't we just love the terrible twos! Are you sure you don't want to come to her birthday party at Wacky Warehouse? :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hey Pete

    I was looking forwards to getting back and finding an update from you at base camp - keep us posted.

    Now as you know football aint my bag - but here goes....
    Everton results this weekend 0-0 with blackburn (i think, to be honest it began with B), this puts em in a clear 6 position on the leader board, one pint behind Villa (so i reckon if they get a squiggle on they could have em). Fighting it out at the top are Liverpool (oh yeh!) and a point ahead United (Manchester just in case you were in any doubt). United have a goal in hand. Liverpool due to fight it out with Chelsea later this week (no idea what that's all about).

    Apart from that; Mrs Obama is in trouble for popping an arm around the Queens waist, Jordans training hard for the London marathon (should be interesting!) Kate Moss/Philip Green (joined at the hip these days) have opened Top Shop in NYC and Victoria Beckham has been photographed in flip flops.

    So ....... i'm waiting patiently for my next mountain update. Hope all's well.

    Hels x

    ReplyDelete