Sunday 19 April 2009

INTO THE ICEFALL - TAKE 2

This morning we made our second trip up the icefall, this time to the top, reaching an altitude of just over 6,000m.

Having been half way up once, we all knew what to expect, although it was made somewhat different this time that the first couple of hours was done in the dark, due to the start time of 3.00am. The second half of the icefall was much the same as the first half, although there was one crevasse that must have been 8 metres wide and we couldn't see the bottom - that was a ladder crossing to get the pulse racing! There was also a stretch of around 100m which passed under a rock and ice shelf which is prone to avalanche, and we were advised to run through that area. I'm afraid that my attempt at running was to plod just a little more energetically! However, one of leaders, Willie Benegas (he's famous, Google him), reckons he has picked out a safer route and the Ice Fall Doctors are up there now pushing it through.

Again, the sun was blazing down as we descended, but I had learned form my previous experience and adjusted my clothing accordingly, so although I was still tired, I wasn't nearly as exhausted as the previous time.

I'm not sure what the programme is for the next couple of days. Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day, and probably Sunday as well. Our next venture up the mountain will be to go through the icefall again, sleep at Camp 1, and then push on up the Western Cwm to touch Camp 2, before retuning again to base camp. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bye for now,

ps COYB for the semi-final!!!

1 comment:

  1. Pooooooooooooo! We have our first set back.

    There I was reading Icefall 2 (The sequel), picturing Lady Gaga rolling in to your tent at 02.45 straight from movin, grovin and a chillin with the Ice fall Docs. She pops on a splash of lippy and she's ready to go bang on 03.00, when I suddenly realise that she can't be up Everest with you, as she was on Jonathan Ross last week - Doh!

    I've considered Cheryl Cole as a replacement; she's a babe (although I’m not sure how well the whole PVC thing would work in cooler climates). I just know you would get on. She's also climbed Kilimanjaro in a red nose so she has form and knows the score. I've decided against it though, to be fair she's awfully thin, there's nothing too her, she could easily slip through the rungs of the ladders into a deep crevasse, which would kill X Factor and Saturday nights as we know em.

    So I’m thinking - what about having the Hoff with you? OK so he's American, but that (and the leather trouser wearing) aside he is a legend. He also has the ability to keep himself amused talking to inanimate objects like cars, so also a source of entertainment. As far as I know he's not booked for Ross, so I reckon he can be with you all the way.

    I promise to find a nice lady to join you, Willie and the Hoff - I’ve just got this weeks OK so will scour the pages. Yup this climbing pose is now coming on nicely.

    Just googled Willie aka Guillermo, OMG he's a climbing legend (so should get on with the Hoff). Is his brother out there with you? The Mountain Madness site I’m reading says he holds records for fastest ascents, which explains the getting you to sprint through the avalanche areas. He'll probably have your running all over the bloody place if ya not careful. Actually he sounds v cool (pls feel free to pass on my number). I also like his jazzy hands in the picture, from here on in, I think you should call him Mr Bojangles!

    I'm really chuffed that you did the whole icefall, it sounds truly amazing and I’m thinking about maybe this is a trip I may want to do (just thinking mind). Keep up the inspiration and you never know....

    Let us know what them ice fall dudes have set you as your next mission.

    Hels x

    PS I cycled the River Lea at the weekend - loads of cool graffiti.

    ReplyDelete