Monday 30 March 2009

Greetings from Kathmandu (KTM)

Well, I've made it this far! I met up with most of the rest of the team at Heathrow and we arrived in KTM yesterday at around 3.30pm after a pleasingly uneventful flight via Delhi. We're staying at the Summit hotel, which I've stayed at before, and which is a very pleasant and peaceful oasis away from the noise and general chaos of the city centre.

To my surprise, we have got a full day in KTM before leaving for the hills tomorrow. So instead of the expected 4am alarm call to get to the airport for our flight to Lukla, I instead had a wondeful 9 hours sleep followed by a leisurely breakfast on the terrace. After breakfast we had a lecture from the guy who invented the oxygen system we're going to be using on the mountain, followed by a full gear check. Some of the group have gone into town to stock up on a few essentials, but I'm just going to have a quiet day sitting in the sun at the hotel.

So that's it really, all very boring and unexciting (although at least I didn't go into detail about what I had for breakfast!). Tomorrow is when that 4am call will come, and that is when the big adventure will really start.

Catch you soon!!

2 comments:

  1. I thought this trip was meant to be tough, it sounds decidedly relaxing so far. We can't have that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter - what a challenge... best of luck.... just a few steps at at time... it's amazing what you can achieve. Will be following your progress. HP

    ReplyDelete