Friday 1 May 2009

A SETBACK

Unfortunately I have had to return early to base camp from the latest acclimatisation trip. Basically my body did not adapt well to living continuously at 6,400m and I was suffering from lack of sleep, nausea and loss of appetite. It came to a head when we attempted to reach C3 up the Lhotse Face, and it became apparent before we had even reached half way that I was suffering and that the only option was for me to turn back.

The basic problem is that I could not take in enough food to convert to energy and I was literally 'running on empty'. The problem was not going to solve itself while I stayed at C2, as all that was happening was that my body was deteriorating more all the time I stayed up there. The decision was taken therefore for me to get back to Base camp asap and start trying to put some calories back into my body - it is working so far because I have already demolished a big plate of chips single-handed!

The question remains about where do we go from here. In the short term, I will head down to Pheriche and wait there for the rest of the team to arrive, all the time trying to eat as much as possible. I will then discuss the future plans with the expedition leaders, although it is difficult to see how we can overcome the problems I experienced at C2 if these are physiological. However, I am determined that this is only a temporary setback and I will be back up that hill as soon as possible.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,
    Sounds like you need a few rounds of Nicola's shortbread and a couple of kitkats to sort you out. If it would help I could get Brenda to russell you up a few Yorkshire man size baps. We are in awe of your achievements so far. Truely mind blowing. We will be watching with interest how your adventure unfolds from here. Whatever the outcome just make sure you get yourself back to blighty in one peice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Peter I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a setback, but pleased that you've heeded what your body's telling you and dropped back down to take some calories on board and to rest and recuperate for a few days.

    I've got fingers, toes and everything that doesn't hurt after the operation crossed for you that this is only a temporary setback and you will get to the top weather permitting in one piece.

    Even if you don't (and I'm not entertaining that possibility right now) you've already done something that > 99.999% of us will never achieve and that's to live our dream. You're on Everest - I for one won't be doing that in this lifetime anyway.

    Thinking of you and wishing you well xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete,
    Sorry to hear about your setback. Can't quite imagine you not being able to eat enough. Mags has found Kendal Mint Cake brilliant in these situations albeit at dramatically lower altitudes. Shall I get some airlifted to you?
    Like Ann we've got everything crossed that this is just a temporary setback and your chip-butty powered ascent will be back on track. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. setback my a**e! This is all about seeing opportunities and taking them – which i have to say you are rather brilliant at!

    So what else can i say but congrats ma dear, I'm convinced you have set the record for eating chips at altitude (excluding those eaten in planes and rockets, of course) - woohoo!.

    Sounds to me that food is the answer (and not love, as John Lennon would have us believe), so eat continually Pete, eat for England, have a chip butty in recognition of every poor sod at weightwatchers. Focus just on staying strong, the climb and getting to the top will then just happen all by itself.

    Putting things in perspective, everyone who has already written you a note above is bang on, the opportunity of going to the top of Everest this month has been created by you, which is pretty awesome as hardly anyone has the balls to do it (picture me doing a happy clap, cos I am). As I see it, before was quite rightly the sensible time to throw the diary away, (even if we both regretted afterwards, albeit for diff reasons) now I reckon it’s time to sharpen your pencil, keep writing and get yourself up that mountain. I have every faith that you can sweet talk Willy and his mates into letting you go.

    I’m right behind you sport, i'm so very proud and i soooooo want to see a photo of your flag being planted at the top.

    Hels x

    PS – My map now has a cut out chip shop at BC for you complete with tommy sauce.

    ReplyDelete