Tuesday 12 May 2009

END OF THE ADVENTURE

I am very sorry to say that this is going to be my last blog as I will be leaving the expedition before the summit push.

As you know, we recently spent some time down the valley in Pheriche, but unfortunately it has not had the desired effect for me as I have not managed to regain the strength I lost on the mountain and I just have to recognise that in my current state of health I am just not strong enough to climb the mountain. The walk back up to BC only confirmed this, as it actually took me longer than when we first trekked in a month ago. I could maybe struggle up as far as C2, but from my previous experiences up there the prognosis for summit would not be good.

Also, another factor has now come in to play in that the stakes in the icefall have been raised by the death of a sherpa in an avalanche, and speed through there is now even more essential. I would not be able to move at the required speed and to go in there would be endangering not only myself, but also those with me.

I wouldn't say that the last 6 weeks or so have been the most enjoyable of my life, but I am certainly glad for what has been a truly amazing experience - it was worth it just to walk in the Western Cwm. I guess whatever the 'it' is that it takes to climb Everest, I just haven't got it, but at least I have given it a go and I won't spend the rest of my life wondering 'what if'.

I will set off back to Kathmandu in the next couple of days, and then it will just be a question of when I can get a flight back to the UK.

Before I sign off, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has followed my progress, and especially to those who have posted comments or sent emails. You can't begin to imagine the boost that these have given me when things have been tough. I'm just sorry I couldn't give you a summit to celebrate.

Thanks again, and I'll see you all soon.

Pete

3 comments:

  1. Realising your limitations and not putting your colleagues in danger is far far more heroic than reaching the summit. I've never been so proud to have known you XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    I guess inside this will be a bitter dissappointment for you. I am sure in time when you look back on the incredible adventure you have had not just on Everest, but on other mountains around the globe you will know deep inside, that far from lacking in strenght, you have infact grown very much stronger. It seems to me that for now you have rightly given lady Everest the respect she deserves, and in doing so preserved the chance to come back stronger next time if you decide there will be a next time.

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete

    Go right our there and plant that flag and take a photo - it was meant to signify an achievement and in my book you're more than entitled to stick that pole in the ground and grin at the camera.

    Quite right with your 'what if' - life is for living and taking opportunities, not just for the legendary experience but also to give you loads of storied which you can entertain your mates with down the pub - man do you have some stories to tell, there's gonna be a lot of beer involved!

    One thing my dad taught me when i was little was you should try everything (i believe he was talking legal activities) at least twice, the first time you are overcoming the emotions associated with it, the second time you see it for what it really is and can be a far better judge if its something you want to do again. Like Edward says respecting the tall pointy thing is a must, maybe tell Lady E to keep in touch rather than saying a final farewell.

    Safe journey back and beers when you land in Blighty will be immediately arranged.

    Hels xx

    ReplyDelete